Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fire at the home front

So the first life event that's happened whilst I was with no computer that I want to talk about is,
The Great Fire of 2012!
 (Try it again but say that in a dark dreary voice)
THE GREAT FIRE of 2012!
I went to lunch with some friends and came back home only to find my house filled with smoke! I pounded on the neighbor's door and maybe not so politely told them to watch my kids. I ran back home called 911 and decided I had to go in and get my dog. I got a small taste of what my husband does when he goes into a smoke filled house. I decided to get out of the house and let the firefighters do what they do best.

What happened was the furnace caught on fire and burned the filter which pumped smoke through the entire house. Luckily the firefighter husband of mine always tells me not to put things near the furnace or things could have been much worse. Just a LOT of smoke damage.

Here is the old furnace that you can kinda sorta see where it caught fire.
 I'm used to seeing firefighters, just not at my house. They were all Sooo sooo soo nice. Of course it had to happen while my husband was at the fire station. Of course! Nothing goes wrong when he is home. He got to hear what was going on at our house on the radio. He did make it home after a while though.
Say, "Hi" to the nice firefighters who saved my home.
 The first night we stayed at my parent's. They also were super nice to let us stay at Hotel Harvey. But I figured we were going to be misplaced for quite some time so why not get a temporary home?
Say "Hi" to our temporary home.

This is our view for 21 days!
We got lazy taking Lily out for walks and let her run the halls of the hotel every once in a while. (dogs are hard when you don't have a backyard!)
 I have the funniest video's of the dog running the halls. I might post it sometime, if I ever get around to it. Don't hold me to it though.

The day we checked into the hotel we had tickets to go to Disney on Ice that just could not go wasted. My sweet friend Crystal made the girls Jesse tutu's. The theme for Disney on Ice was Toy Story 3. The girls seriously were the cutest kids in the packed arena.
 Not even biased one bit, true story!
 We also got to enjoy St. Patrick's Day in the hotel. I did what I could to make the day fun since it was cold and being in a hotel gets boring after a while. Shocking but true!

The clean up crew that worked so hard on our house was fantastic. It was like moving into a cleaner version of my home. I just wish I could have paid them to put all our clothes away for us too. It seriously took forever to go through all the boxes. I am so grateful for my parents and sisters that helped out whenever we needed. I would still be going through boxes if it were not for them. Ok truth? I still have one box left in my room that just stares at me, taunts me in fact. I figure I should just throw it away since I haven't needed the clothes out of it yet. Right? One day I will get around to it.
The girls enjoyed the boxes! I am enjoying the new furnace and new carpet that we got!

One last thing I want to mention about the fire is, my husband but I have to tell a secret about him first.
He spoils me!
 Often when he is working at the Fire Department, he will buy me flowers and bring them home in the morning when he is off shift. Just because he loves me!
Say "Hi,  Pretty just because flowers."
Well back to the fire day. He had been slacking on the flowers and he decided that he better buy me some BEFORE the fire happened! My parents got to keep them at their house but still, What are the odds that he just had the instinct that I was going to need some cheering up on that exact day?
Husbands are just the best aren't they? He has taken care of every detail from the fire. From the insurance to the hotels to the home clean up. He really has been such a rock through such a stressful time in our life.

1 comments:

Ashley Rae said...

Wow! That would seriously suck. Haha. Glad that everyone is ok- and you got a clean house out of it!

And what a sweet hubby you have :)